Celebration for New Year is not complete without a sumptuous cuisine.
Following are some handpicked special dishes to pamper your palate pleasure and
cater to your taste buds in the process.
Honey Hearts - Honigherzen
25 grams margarine
100 grams castor sugar
grated rind of 1 lemon
chocolate glaze and icing
60 grams cooking chocolate
90 grams warmed honey
200 grams flour
teaspoon baking powder
40 grams ground almonds
50 grams icing sugar
teaspoon well beaten egg white
1. Soften the
margarine or butter and mix it with sugar, beaten egg, spices, lemon rind, honey,
flour, baking powder and ground almonds to make an even mixture. Leave for 30
2. Roll out on a lightly floured board and cut out heart shapes.
Bake in a moderate oven till light brown.
4. Prepare the chocolate glaze by
melting the chocolate with 2 tablespoons of hot water over a low heat or in a
double saucepan, add the icing sugar and mix well.
5. Dip one side of each
biscuit into the warm chocolate to cover the top evenly.
6. Mix together icing
sugar and beaten egg white and using a matchstick draw designs over the chocolate.
1 cup of oil
2 teaspoons of coffee dissolved in 1/2 cup of boiling
1 1/4 cups of brown sugar
4 cups of self raising flour
1/2 teaspoons of cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons of mixed spice
1 teaspoon of ginger
teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda
1. Mix together the honey, oil, coffee and sugar.
2. Beat in the
3. Sift the flour, spices and bicarbonate soda together and stir in the
mixture made before.
4. Pour into a greased tray.
5. Bake at 165 degrees
Celsius for 1 to 1 1/4 hours.
150 grams of margarine or butter
grams icing sugar
225 grams flour
25 grams cocoa
100 grams cooking
the butter or margarine in a bowl and mix in the icing sugar, lightly beaten egg
2. Sift in flour and cocoa and mix together to make a stiff dough.
Leave for 30 minutes.
3. Roll out pieces of dough to the shape of pretzels.
Place on a lightly greased tray and bake for 15-18 minutes in a moderate oven.
Melt cooking chocolate with water over a low heat.
6. Drop each pretzel into
the hot chocolate and quickly remove. Dry each pretzel on greaseproof paper.
250 grams oatmeal
teaspoon bicarbonate soda
2 teaspoon butter or margarine
some hot water
1. Mix oatmeal, salt
and soda together in a bowl.
2. Make a well in the center and pour in melted
3. Add a little hot water to the butter and gradually mix into a stiff
paste adding water where necessary.
4. Cut into triangles and place on a floured
5. Bake in a hot oven for 20-30 minutes until the ends curl and
the cakes are crisp.
5. Cheese Puff Balls
500 grams grated cheese
500 grams butter
dash Tabasco sauce
dash Worcestershire sauce
1. Mix flour, butter, cayenne and cheese with fingers & add Worcestershire
sauce and Tabasco, until a dough forms.
2. Roll into balls and bake at 180
degrees Celsius for 20 minutes.
1 bottle white grape juice
liters of Lemonade, Sprite or 7up
1. Mix the juice and lemonade, Sprite or 7up in equal amounts.
Garnish with orange slices, cherries, or strawberries.